Resolved work 3 -- first self-initiated project


Before I transferred from DFSA to Fine Art, I took such a self-portrait that half of me is with make-up, female bracelet and  nails polished in red, which is to represent the coexistence and balance of man and woman. I believe any two opposite concepts are not completely exclusive to each other, as there is no absolute 'black' and and absolute 'white'. A man could have the exquisite emotions and a woman could have the courage, adventurous spirit, ration and reasoning. 'Complementary' should be preferred over 'contrary' and we can always find the balance to maintain the coexistence of multiple matters.

During the screen printing workshop and further attendance of the printing studio, I remake my previous self-portrait with printing. The original colours are replaced with solely red and black. Red and Black are quite frequently mentioned together in art and literature as the sharp contrast made by these two colours rendered them the possibility to represent the conflicts and contradictions inherent in the artistic and literary works. However, it is notable that even one colour itself can contain different meanings, and some are seemingly self-contradictory. Red is passion, love, brightness..., but also blood, lust, greediness... Black is devil, darkness, ruthlessness..., but also eternity, wisdom, enigma... Everything exists in relativity.

Comments